Flooded Basements Are No Match For Us!
Too many homeowners have gone into their basement to find a pool of standing water. Water follows the path of least resistance, finding cracks and holes through basement walls. Flooding can often be attributed to insufficient drainage around basement walls, heavy rains, a faulty sump pump, or a combination of these factors.
SERVPRO of Walker & Winston Counties' professionals are highly trained in water damage restoration including basement and crawlspace flooding. We have the experience, expertise, and equipment to remove the water and dry your basement quickly and efficiently. Our water removal and drying process emphasizes monitoring and documentation to validate your property is dry.
- 24 Hour Emergency Service
- Faster to Any Size Disaster
- Highly Trained Water Damage Restoration Specialists
Basements can flood day or night, on weekends and even holidays, and that’s why we offer 24/7/365 emergency service. You can expect an immediate response time, day or night.
If your basement has experienced flooding, give us a call, and will make it "Like it never even happened."
Fire, Smoke and Other Odors
How do we address and eliminate odors? Here are some frequent questions and comments that we have be asked to solve:
- A skunk sprayed my dog. The dog ran into our home and now my house smells. What do I do?
- There is a bad smell after my toilet overflowed in my bathroom. I can’t get it to go away. Help?
- How do I remove the smell after sewage came up in my basement?
- I found a dead animal in our office drop ceiling. How do remove the smell.
- How do you make the smell disappear after a biohazard cleanup?
- How do I get rid of smoke smell after a fire?
Each odor presents a different type of situation, and we first must inspect to determine the best method for removal. There are three methods that we use. They are: the use of ozone, hydroxyl generators, and deodorants.
Call SERVPRO of Walker & Winston Counties to set up an inspection with a trained professional to determine the best way to eliminate odor from after a fire, or any other type of odor that may get trapped in your home or business.
As handy as fire extinguisher canisters can be in your home or business for small flare-ups, this suppression system gets designed to put out flames quickly and not to limit the mess that it can make. Often homeowners find that putting out a small fire causes more damage and need for cleanup than the fire itself did. Our professionals can help with all stages of fire recovery from debris removal to cleaning up the residue that extinguishing foam can leave on structural elements and contents of your property.
A fire can stay contained to a small area when you utilize fire extinguishers quickly in your home. The suppression chemicals inside these canisters get designed to smother the fire before it can get out of control, but this protection does not come without a need for extensive cleanup and evaluation of structural integrity. Our SERVPRO Franchise professionals respond to your fire emergency can assess the full scope of the damage and determine the restorative actions that your property requires to return to pre-fire condition.
Cleanup of residue from the extinguisher happens both through conventional cleaning approaches with wet and dry sponges on accessible surfaces, but also requires specialized equipment designed to reach inaccessible areas more easily. It is our focus to provide efficient and effective fire damage cleanup so that you can return to normal life seamlessly.
Carpeted areas often require focused attention as well when cleaning up extinguisher residue. If the carpet has managed to come through the fire unscathed, it still requires our premier cleaning services including steam vacuuming and dry cleaning to pull the chemical residue and any soot or smoke particulates from the fibers of the flooring.
Cleaning Hotel Floors
Standing water and over-saturation can be two of the biggest obstacles that your Reading hotel faces after a substantial water loss. With powerful extraction tools at our disposal, our SERVPRO professionals can manage the immediate effects to begin drying in a timely fashion.
Choosing among the advanced equipment available to our professionals involves deciding which methods of water removal are the most efficient, and can limit exposure to your guests and staff. The type of flooring is also a factor, as extraction practices for carpeted floors typical in lobbies vary from water removal practices we would use on tile or laminate flooring options.
What extractors and attachments can help with water removal in your hotel?
- Wet vacuums
- Electric submersial pumps
- Truck-mounted extractors
- Drying mats
- Carpet wands
Water removal from the floors of your hotel must happen immediately to ensure the safety and wellbeing of your guests and staff, and our team can help. Call us today at (205)-387-7656.
Smelly Odors in Walker & Winston Counties?
Two species of skunks that inhabit our area are the striped skunk and the spotted skunk. Both are nocturnal and are primarily solitary creatures. They are known to like to hang out on front porches. They will spray and the odor can linger around for what feels like forever. If a skunk, or any other animal leaves a smelly odor, call us, and we can get the odor out. We cannot remove the animal, but we can remove the odor.
SERVPRO technicians are on call 24/7/365 and have the necessary training, and equipment necessary to identify and eliminate offensive odors. Our technicians never use shortcuts or try and mask odors, they use odor removal products that penetrate surfaces and thoroughly remove them.
No matter what the situation is, and no matter how smelly the job is...we can take care of it!
Humidifiers & Dehumidifiers- What Do I Need?
Humidifier or dehumidifier? Do I need more moisture or less moisture? What's the difference?
Luckily, SERVPRO of Walker & Winston Counties can help you understand the difference.
Tools such as the humidifier and dehumidifier have were made to measure, control and regulate humidity, circulation, and temperature to best suit our bodies. Humidity is a very important factor in determining how comfortable a space can feel.
Low amounts of water vapor in the air can cause dry skin and hair, static electricity, and increased likelihood of catching a cold or respiratory illness.
Both humidifiers and dehumidifiers help improve indoor humidity levels and eliminate respiratory illnesses like asthma and chest congestion.
A humidifier increases the amount of moisture in the air while a dehumidifier decreases the amount of moisture.
Cold and Winter Months:
During the cold, winter months the air is usually dry and viruses become airborne. A humidifier will add moisture to the air and can help you avoid getting sick.
Humidifiers are also often used in babies and children’s rooms to aid in their breathing throughout the night.
Basements are often susceptible to mold growth because they have little exposure to sunlight and tend to gather moisture which leads to high humidity. A dehumidifier would be best in a basement- especially if your basement always seems to be damp and musty.
Mold thrives in dark, damp places. To reduce the likelihood of mold, the amount of moisture in the air needs to be reduced. This is where a dehumidifier would be appropriate.
If the humidity levels in your home are all out of sorts, or mold has already taken up residence in your home, it is probably best to call SERVPRO of Walker & Winston Counties. We can assess your air quality and help you make the right call.
Chimney Fires Are Preventable
Every year in the United States there are more than 25,000 chimney fires. On average these yearly fires cause cost more than $125 million in property damage.
These tragedies can be preventable. Regular inspection, cleaning, and repair of your chimney can help prevent malfunction or dangerous build-up that could put your family at risk.
Follow these prevention tips to help avoid chimney fires, that could save your family!
- Minimize creosote build-up in the chimney
- Get an annual chimney inspection
- Clean your chimney or have it professionally cleaned when you discover a 1/8-inch layer of build-up on the walls
- Install an appropriate fitting chimney cap
- Use only safe approved fire starters
- Practice clean burning techniques Only
If you experience a chimney fire that causes smoke or soot damage up your house, call the professionals at SERVPRO of Walker & Winston Counties to clean your home properly.
Keep Your Furry Friends Safe During a Storm
Storms can be very stressful event for your furry friends. Follow these tips to help alleviate some of the off of your pet.
- Anxiety Levels: Many pets have anxiety with fireworks or storms. If your pet has been prescribed medication for anxiety, talk to your vet about the best course of action leading up to firework events or storm systems coming through your area.
- Finding Shelter: Often times during a storm, it may be the best course of action to take shelter in a small bathroom or basement. Make sure your pet is familiar with this area just in case you need to take shelter there. Practice going to this designated place beforehand.
- Evacuation Plan: Make sure you have an evacuation plan that everyone in your household is aware of. Create an area that you can easily locate your pets leash, carrier, medication and food if you need to evacuate. Be sure to know where your pets most desired hiding place is just in case you cannot find them when you need to evacuate.
- First Aid Kit: Talk to your vet about adding items to your first aid kit that are dedicated for your pet. Keep your first aid kit stocked so it is always plentiful of supplies.
What To Keep and Discard After Mold Damage
Mold can inflict devastating amounts of damage to your home or business. While all hope might seem lost, there are certain mold cleaning techniques you can use to save your possessions.
Items to Throw Away
It's important to know which items simply cannot be saved when attempting to expedite your mold cleaning efforts:
Porous Objects: Because of their tendency to absorb water quickly, it's unlikely that you'll be able to save objects with porous surfaces. This includes items made of cardboard, padding, stuffed animals, upholstered furniture, carpeting and mattresses.
Paper Products: While it is possible to restore these items, the process is rather costly and should be saved for sentimental items. Place any possessions you wish to preserve in the freezer to prevent mold damage from spreading.
Food Items: Moldy or water damaged food must be thrown away. The same goes for any water damaged food preparation appliances.
Items to Keep
Glass, Metal or Plastic Materials: Clean these items using either antibacterial hand soap or a homemade mixture comprised of 1 gallon of water and 1/2 cup of bleach.
Most Clothing Items: Time is of the essence with clothing, so make sure to wash them using regular laundry detergent as soon as possible. Leather clothing needs to be taken to a cleaning professional.
Electronic Devices: Appliances exposed to mold can vary.. Any water damaged electronics or appliances are potentially dangerous and need to be thrown away. You should consult a professional if you wish to restore these types of items.
Knowing which items to keep and which you need to get rid of can certainly help expedite your mold cleaning efforts. If you have any further questions, or require additional help getting rid of mold, contact mold remediation experts as soon as possible.
Tips for a Longer Lasting Roof
Tips on maintaining your roof:
- Make sure that any trellises, gutters and other additions to your roof are not rotting and are suitably attached.
- Get an annual inspection from a licensed, experienced roofer. If you get overwhelmed by google, call our office today for a few local companies that we like to work with.
- Confirm with said roofer that all seams, especially those around chimneys and where a flat roof meets the pitched roof or a wall, are sealed properly to help prevent water intrusion.
- Ensure that any roof cleaning is performed by a professional with extensive experience and proper equipment and products.
- Get a stamp of approval that there is sufficient airflow in and out of the attic, proper ventilation is key to prevent moisture getting trapped in your attic space.
- And don’t forget that you shouldn’t wait around to repair or replace the roof when needed, it is one part of your home that is worth staying on top of.
In the end, a smaller investment is worth it to make sure that you are guaranteeing a well maintained roof. The little bits of extra work can go a long way toward helping prevent a loss down the road. If you suspect that you may have a moisture issue or water intrusion into your building from your roof, give our SERVPRO of Walker & Winston Counties team a call to help get your loss back to normal “Like it never even happened.”