What Is Black Mold?
You might have seen special news reports that have been giving warnings about the dangers of “black mold”. Another name for black mold is “toxic mold”. These reports are very alarming and also confusing, so it is better to make sure you are getting all of the facts to better understand mold.
Black mold comes from a type of mold called stachybotrys chartarum. This type of mold does produce allergens and irritants- although, majority of the different types of mold can produce the same allergens and irritants. You must treat any mold you see with caution- is it best to stay out of the affected area(s) and to not touch or disturb any of the mold you might see.
Learn more about mold and what to do until help arrives by visiting Mold Damage Tips.
How Do I Tell If It’s Black Mold?
Since many types of mold can cause reactions, you should contact us regardless of the color or type of mold. In many instances, multiple types of mold may exist in the same house or structure. If you suspect you have a mold problem, contact SERVPRO of Walker & Winston Counties immediately.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (205) 387-7656
When water intrudes into your property, mold growth can start in as little as 48 hours. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic, float along in the air, and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor, and that odor can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
SERVPRO of Walker & Winston Counties is locally owned and operated—so we live and work here too and are proud to be part of this community. We are also part of a national network of over 1,600 Franchises with special Disaster Recovery Teams placed strategically throughout the country to respond to large scale disasters.
SERVPRO of Walker & Winston Counties proudly serves Jasper, Nauvoo, and surrounding areas.